As the institutional representative of over 45 million businesses in more than 170 countries, the International Chamber of Commerce operates with a core mission to “make business work for everyone, every day, everywhere”.
We act as the primary voice of the real economy in a range of intergovernmental organisations – from the World Trade Organisation to the UN climate process – championing the needs of local business in global decision making.
The convening power of our global network enables us to set rules and standards that facilitate over $10 trillion dollars in trade each year – as well as providing tailored products and digital services that directly address the real challenges faced by businesses operating internationally.
We also provide the world’s premier private global dispute resolution services, leveraging ICC’s unique independence, integrity, and expertise.
The Secretariat of the ICC International Court of Arbitration is currently recruiting a Deputy Counsel to assist its Middle East and Northern Africa (MENA) case management team. The role is based at our Abu Dhabi office.
The role involves both legal and administrative tasks including:
- Reviewing and processing requests for arbitration and other documents filed by parties, arbitrators and others during arbitration proceedings
- Preparing agendas (memoranda) briefing the International Court of Arbitration on decisions it is required to take
- Correspondence and telephone conversations with parties and arbitral tribunals concerning all aspects of case management
- Answering general queries about the ICC arbitral process by telephone and in writing
- Successful applicants may also prepare notes or articles for publication and represent the Court and its Secretariat during seminars and conferences.
- Applicants should be recently qualified lawyers with at least 2 years’ relevant professional experience in international arbitration
- A formal legal qualification (i.e. Bar exam or equivalent) is not essential if a candidate can demonstrate sufficient legal training and experience in international arbitration, international and/or commercial law
- Candidates must be well organised, have excellent written and oral communication skills and be able to work effectively in a multicultural team
- Excellent verbal and writing skills in English is essential. A good knowledge of Arabic is required
- Applicants should be a national of one of the following countries: UAE, Lebanon, Jordan, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Oman, Bahrain or be a resident of the UAE.
Terms and conditions
Estimated start date: As soon as possible
Department: Dispute Resolution Services
Location: The position is based in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Contract type and duration: CDI (permanent), full time
How to apply: Interested candidates should send the following to Elie Muala, Talent Acquisition Manager, at email@example.com and specify “Deputy Counsel – MENA team” in the subject line of their email application
- Cover note (one page maximum) highlighting key skills and experience in line with the candidate’s profile and key competencies
- Professional CV (two pages maximum)
Closing date for applications: 27 December 2023
At ICC, we make business work for everyone, everyday, everywhere
And when we say “everyone”, we mean it
We celebrate the diversity of our people and strive to inspire acceptance, cultivate a culture where difference matters, inclusion is essential and equality of opportunity is for everyone.