ATA Carnets are international customs documents permitting the duty-free and tax-free temporary export and import of goods for up to one year. Carnets are the easiest way to speed through Customs and to save money.
More than 178,000 ATA Carnets are issued every year covering goods valued at more than US$ 30 billion.
These goods include:
- Commercial samples
- Professional equipment
- Goods for presentation or use at trade fairs, shows and other types of exhibitions
In fact, if you can name it and it is not consumable or perishable, then it can probably be covered by an ATA Carnet. That means almost everything from the ordinary to the extraordinary: computers, repair tools, photographic and film equipment, musical instruments, industrial machinery, vehicles, jewellery, clothing, medical appliances and aircraft, race horses, old masters, prehistoric relics, ballet costumes and rock group sound systems.
The list is endless…
What’s more, equipped with an ATA Carnet, you can:
- make advance customs arrangements at a predetermined cost
- visit several countries
- use your ATA Carnet for several trips during its one-year validity
- return to your home country with your goods without problems or delays
“ATA” is an acronym of the French and English words “Admission Temporaire/Temporary Admission” but you may have heard Carnets referred to as “Passports for goods” or “Merchandise passports”.
Download: ATA Carnet sample (PDF, 5M)
ATA Carnets brochures:
- Arabic (produced by the Dubai Chamber of Commerce and Industry)
- Catalan (produced by the Andorra Chamber of Commerce)
- Chinese (produced by CCPIT/CCOIC)
- Italian (produced by the UNIONCAMERE)