ICC and Parley for the Oceans join forces to rally world business community to protect and conserve the Oceans
Today, the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) and Parley for the Oceans join forces to rally the world’s business community to protect and conserve the Oceans.
- Long-term partnership will educate and empower the private sector on actions they can take to preserve the Oceans by joining the Parley collaboration network.
- ICC will work with its members globally to disseminate the principles of the Parley AIR Strategy (Avoid. Intercept. Redesign.) to solve the issue of marine plastic pollution and create a new economy that protects our planet.
- To lead by example and inspire its members, ICC commits to phase out single-use disposable plastic items throughout all facilities and replace virgin plastic with alternatives by the end of 2020.
- ICC and Parley will extend this collaboration to other crisis areas, like marine pollution, climate change and overfishing, with the objective of accelerating and enabling sustainable business practices.
ICC is the largest, most representative business organization in the world, representing 45 million businesses globally and employing more than 1.2 billion workers in over 100 countries. Together with Parley, an environmental organisation known for its Ocean Plastic Programme and global collaboration network for creators, thinkers and leaders, ICC aims at rallying the world’s business community to protect and conserve the Oceans.
ICC Secretary General John W.H. Denton AO said: “Through our partnership with Parley, ICC will help ensure that our oceans are safeguarded for the health of the global ecosystem and the livelihoods of the millions of businesses that rely on the open waters.”
The partnership between Parley and ICC will build on the principles of Parley AIR (Avoid. Intercept. Redesign.) — the strategy developed by Parley to end marine plastic pollution and drive a Material Revolution:
- AVOID plastic wherever possible;
- INTERCEPT plastic waste
- REDESIGN materials, methods and products.
To lead by example towards its members, the ICC commits to implement the Parley AIR strategy at the ICC offices in Paris, France, and New York, NY. As a first concrete action, ICC commits to phase out single-use disposable plastic items throughout all facilities and replace virgin plastic with alternatives by the end of 2020.
Additionally, ICC and Parley will work together to communicate the principles of the Parley AIR strategy to the business community, to inspire and empower business all over the world to take action to preserve the oceans.
Cyrill Gutsch, CEO and founder of Parley for the Oceans:
“Partnering with the International Chamber of Commerce is like partnering with the origin of economy. Together we will drive business into the future and establish a new economy which is built on collaboration and eco-innovation, inventing a new generation of materials and technologies which contribute to life on the planet, instead of destroying it. For the Oceans.”
The partnership was announced at the 11th World Chambers Congress in Rio de Janeiro, where Mr Gutsch was also the keynote speaker for the session “The Leadership Talk: changing the world, for good.”
About Parley for the Oceans
Parley for the Oceans is the global network where creators, thinkers and leaders from the creative industries, brands, governments and environmental groups come together to raise awareness for the beauty and fragility of the oceans and collaborate on projects that can end their destruction. The organization has formed alliances with major corporations including adidas, Anheuser Busch InBev (Corona), American Express; the United Nations; the Maldives and collaborators spanning the worlds of science, art, fashion, design, entertainment, sports, and space and ocean exploration. To know more: www.parley.tv