ICC’s role in UN climate action
The decision-making body of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) is the Conference of the Parties – more simply referred to as COP.
The twenty-fourth session of the Conference of the Parties (COP 24) will take place from 3-14 December 2018 in Katowice, Poland, presided over by the Government of Poland. All states that are parties to the UNFCCC are represented.
ICC has a long history of promoting climate action at the international level and is the UNFCCC “focal point” for business and industry.
This lead role for the world business organization includes responsibility for bringing the business perspective to the UN climate negotiations, including:
- Monitoring and providing input on the negotiations from a business perspective
- Conducting interventions and submitting statements to the UNFCCC process
- Liaising with the UNFCCC Secretariat on behalf of the business community
- Holding daily morning meetings for the benefit of the business community (“BINGO briefings”) to discuss the previous days’ developments and to plan for the day’s negotiation agenda
- Hosting the official Business and IndustryDay (BINGO Day) to showcase private sector climate action and provide constructive policy input from business to policy makers through a series of roundtables
- Working with the Global Climate Action team to develop action events around the following thematic areas: industry, energy, transport, land use, water, oceans, human settlement, resilience and finance.
In December 2016, ICC was granted Observer Status at the UN General Assembly—the first time that a private sector organisation has been formally admitted into the UN system. ICC’s Observer Status, coupled with our role as the UNFCCC’s focal point for business and industry, means that we are uniquely positioned to advance the business perspective on climate change issues.
Join business and industry at COP 24
If you would like to join the BINGO distribution list to get official information from the UNFCCC and have opportunities to engage in the UNFCCC process, please write to the ICC Secretariat.
Stay up to date on the daily COP 24 developments by following us on Twitter.