The decision-making body of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) is the Conference of the Parties – more simply referred to as COP.
The twenty-fourth session of the Conference of the Parties (COP 24) will take place from 2-14 December 2018 in Katowice, Poland, presided over by the Government of Poland.
ICC has a long history of promoting climate action at the international level and is the UNFCCC Focal Point for Business and Industry.
This lead role for the world business organization includes responsibility for bringing the business perspective to the UN climate negotiations, including:
- Monitoring and providing input on the negotiations from a business perspective
- Delivery statements on behalf of business to the paties to the UNFCCC process
- Liaising with the UNFCCC Secretariat on behalf of the business community
- Holding daily morning meetings for the benefit of the business community (“BINGO Briefings”) to discuss the previous days’ developments and to plan for the day’s negotiation agenda
- Hosting the official Business and Industry Day (“BINGO Day”) to showcase private sector climate action and provide constructive policy input from business to policy makers through a series of roundtables
- Working with the Global Climate Action Marrakech partnership team to develop action events around the following thematic areas: industry, energy, transport, land use, water, oceans, human settlement, resilience and finance.
In December 2016, ICC was granted Observer Status at the UN General Assembly—the first time that a private sector organisation has been formally admitted into the UN system. ICC’s Observer Status, coupled with our role as the UNFCCC’s focal point for business and industry, means that we are uniquely positioned to advance the business perspective on climate change issues.
ICC activities during COP24 and relevant documents
Join us from the earliest moments of COP24 for ICC Business and Industry Day: Increasing Climate Ambition – A Private-Public Dialogue taking place at 09:00-18:00 on Thursday 6 December 2018 at the International Congress Centre (MCK), Katowice, Poland.
All COP24 delegates are invited to join the ICC organised Business and Industry Briefings which aim to facilitate business participation at the event, and provide insight into the negotiations and discussions you may have been unable to attend in person.
- The Daily Business and Industry Briefings will take place on 3-14 December (every day except Sunday) from 09:00-10:00 at the International Congress Centre (MCK) in the Wisla Room (Week 1). We will communicate the room for week 2 shortly.
Join business and industry at COP 24
If you would like to join the BINGO distribution list to get official information from the UNFCCC and have opportunities to engage in the UNFCCC process, please write to the ICC Secretariat.
ICC will also have a dedicated stand in the exhibition area during COP24. Please come and visit us.
Other ways to get involved
Business participation in COP discussions is essential when it comes to informed policymaking. If you are unable to join the activities in Katowice, the UNFCCC offers live streaming to enable virtual participation. You can also follow our activities via our dedicated social media accounts by following us on Twitter or join the conversation using #COP24 and #UNFCCC