As the institutional representative of over 45 million businesses in more than 170 countries, the International Chamber of Commerce operates with a core mission to “make business work for everyone, every day, everywhere”.
We act as the primary voice of the real economy in a range of intergovernmental organisations – from the World Trade Organisation to the UN climate process – championing the needs of local business in global decision making.
The convening power of our global network enables us to set rules and standards that facilitate over $10 trillion dollars in trade each year – as well as providing tailored products and digital services that directly address the real challenges faced by businesses operating internationally.
We also provide the world’s premier private global dispute resolution services, leveraging ICC’s unique independence, integrity, and expertise.
The Secretariat of the ICC International Court of Arbitration is currently recruiting a Counsel to lead its case management team dealing principally with cases connected to Asia and the Gulf region. The role will be based at the ICC office in Singapore.
The role of Counsel involves managerial, legal and administrative tasks including:
- Day-to-day management of a team administering a significant volume of arbitrations
- Providing neutral advice to arbitrators and parties on procedural issues arising in the course of arbitration cases administered by the Court and its Secretariat (“Secretariat”)
- Correspondence and telephone conversations with parties and arbitrators concerning all aspects of case administration
- Reviewing draft arbitral awards and presenting them to the Court for scrutiny
- Preparing memoranda (and reviewing draft memoranda prepared by Deputy Counsel) briefing the Court for its decisions
- Participating in the sessions of the Court
- Reviewing and processing documents filed by parties, arbitrators and others during arbitrations
- The Counsel will also prepare notes or articles for publication and represent the Secretariat at seminars and conferences
- On occasion the Counsel may be required to undertake special tasks at the invitation of the Secretary General, Deputy Secretary General or Managing Counsel
- Applicants should be qualified lawyers with at least 6 years of relevant professional experience in international arbitration
- A formal legal qualification (i.e. Bar exam or equivalent) is not essential if a candidate can demonstrate sufficient legal training and experience in international arbitration, international and/or commercial law
- Candidates must be well organised, have excellent written and oral communication skills and be able to work effectively in a multicultural team
- Experience in management is a considerable advantage
- Excellent verbal and writing skills in English is essential
Terms and conditions
Estimated start date: As soon as possible
Department: Dispute Resolution Services
Location: The position is based in Singapore
Contract type and duration: Permanent (CDI), full time
How to apply: Interested candidates should send the following to Elie Muala, Talent Acquisition Manager, at email@example.com and specify “Counsel – SICAS team” in the subject line of their email application:
- Cover note (one page maximum) highlighting key skills and experience in line with the candidate’s profile and key competencies
- Professional CV (two pages maximum)
Closing date for applications: 31 January 2024
At ICC, we make business work for everyone, everyday, everywhere.
And when we say “everyone”, we mean it.
We celebrate the diversity of our people and strive to inspire acceptance, cultivate a culture where difference matters, inclusion is essential and equality of opportunity is for everyone.