As the institutional representative of over 45 million businesses in more than 170 countries, the International Chamber of Commerce operates with a core mission to “make business work for everyone, every day, everywhere”.
We act as the primary voice of the real economy in a range of intergovernmental organisations – from the World Trade Organisation to the UN climate process – championing the needs of local business in global decision making.
The convening power of our global network enables us to set rules and standards that facilitate over $10 trillion dollars in trade each year – as well as providing tailored products and digital services that directly address the real challenges faced by businesses operating internationally.
We also provide the world’s premier private global dispute resolution services, leveraging ICC’s unique independence, integrity, and expertise.
The Secretariat of the ICC International Court of Arbitration is currently recruiting a Deputy Counsel to assist its case management team in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
The role involves both legal and administrative tasks including:
- Reviewing and processing requests for arbitration and other documents filed by parties, arbitrators and others during arbitration proceedings
- Preparing agendas (memoranda) briefing the International Court of Arbitration on decisions it is required to take
- Correspondence and telephone conversations with parties and arbitral tribunals concerning all aspects of case management
- Answering general queries about the ICC arbitral process by telephone and in writing; and
- Monitoring the financial aspects of the arbitrations handled by the team
- Applicants should be recently qualified lawyers with at least 2 years’ relevant professional experience in international arbitration.
- A formal legal qualification (i.e. Bar exam or equivalent) is not essential if a candidate can demonstrate sufficient legal training and experience in international arbitration, international and/or commercial law.
- Candidates must be well organised, have excellent written and oral communication skills and be able to work effectively in a multicultural team.
- Excellent verbal and writing skills in English and Portuguese are essential. A good knowledge of Spanish is desirable.
Terms and conditions
Start date: As soon as possible
Department: Dispute Resolution Services – SCIAB (Sao Paulo office)
Contract types and duration: Permanent position
How to apply: Any interested persons should send their applications by email at firstname.lastname@example.org and specify “Court vacancy [Deputy Counsel SCIAB]” in the subject line of their email application.
- Cover note (one page maximum) highlighting key skills and experience in line with the candidate’s profile and key competencies
- Professional CV (two pages maximum)
Closing date for applications: 26 September 2023
At ICC, we make business work for everyone, every day, everywhere.
And when we say “everyone”, we mean it.
We celebrate the diversity of our people and strive to inspire acceptance, cultivate a culture where difference matters, inclusion is essential, and equality of opportunity is for everyone.