As a leading international arbitral institution, the International Court of Arbitration® of the International Chamber of Commerce® (“International Court of Arbitration”) attracts a growing caseload from all over the world. The cases are administered by specialized teams with knowledge and experience of the major legal and cultural traditions. Each team is headed by a Counsel and assisted by two or three Deputy Counsel, and two or three administrative assistants.
SICANA Inc. currently is recruiting a Deputy Counsel for a team based in New York City, dealing primarily with cases from the North American region.
The role of Deputy Counsel involves both legal and administrative tasks including:
- Reviewing and processing Requests for Arbitration and other documents filed by parties, arbitrators and others during arbitration proceedings
- Preparing agendas (memoranda) briefing the International Court of Arbitration on decisions it is required to take
- When Counsel is absent, replacing Counsel at sessions of the International Court of Arbitration
- Correspondence and telephone conversations with parties and arbitral tribunals concerning all aspects of case management
- Answering general queries about the ICC arbitral process by telephone and in writing
- Monitoring the financial aspects of the arbitrations handled by the team
Successful applicants may also prepare notes or articles for publication, and represent the International Court of Arbitration and its Secretariat during seminars and conferences.
Applicants should be qualified lawyers (or with such a qualification pending) with at least two years professional experience in a legal environment. Ideally, applicants should be qualified lawyers in the US. Applicants must be well organized, have excellent written and oral communication skills and be able to work effectively in a multicultural team.
Oral and written English at a native speaker level is essential. Fluency in other languages, particularly Spanish, is an advantage.
If you would like to be considered, please send your resume and a cover letter only by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and specify “[vacancy SICANA_2017_DC]” in the subject line of your email.
The closing date for applications is 24 March 2017.
Candidates should possess the necessary papers to work in the United States and be available to start as soon as possible (ideally in April 2017)