Counsel, Abu Dhabi Global Market, UAE.
Vacancy with the Secretariat of the ICC International Court of Arbitration representative office for the MENA region – Abu Dhabi Global Market, UAE
As a leading international arbitral institution, the ICC International Court of Arbitration (“Court”) attracts a growing arbitration caseload from all over the world. Cases are administered by specialised teams with knowledge of and experience in the major legal and cultural traditions.
The Secretariat of the Court (“Secretariat”) is setting up a new case management team in Abu Dhabi Global Market, UAE. The team will deal principally with Middle East jurisdictions. It will be headed by a Counsel, assisted by a Deputy Counsel, and an assistant.
Applications are invited for the position of Counsel for the new case management team based in Abu Dhabi Global Market, UAE.
Counsel report to the Deputy Secretary General of the Court.
The role of Counsel involves managerial, legal and administrative tasks including:
- Day-to-day management of a team administering a significant volume of arbitrations
- Providing neutral advice to arbitrators and parties on procedural issues arising in the course of arbitration cases administered by the Court and its Secretariat
- Correspondence and telephone conversations with parties and arbitrators concerning all aspects of case administration
- Reviewing draft arbitral awards and presenting them to the Court for scrutiny
- Preparing memoranda (and reviewing draft memoranda prepared by Deputy Counsel) briefing the Court for its decisions
- Participating in the sessions of the Court
- Reviewing and processing documents filed by parties, arbitrators and others during arbitrations
- Participating in the promotion of ICC Arbitration in the region
On occasion Counsel may be required to undertake special tasks at the invitation of the Secretary General, Deputy Secretary General or Managing Counsel.
Counsel will also prepare notes or articles for publication and represent the Secretariat at seminars and conferences.
Ideal candidates will have a postgraduate degree in international arbitration, international law or international commercial law, a legal qualification (bar admission), and a minimum of four years post-qualification relevant professional experience. Candidates must have excellent drafting and communication skills, an organized approach to work and be able to manage a team while operating as part of a larger multicultural team.
Proficiency in oral and written English is essential. Fluency in written and oral Arabic is highly desirable. All other language skills are an advantage.
Terms and conditions
Estimated start date: mid-March 2021
Department: Dispute Resolution Services
Contract type and duration: Permanent
How to apply: If you would like to be considered, please send your curriculum vitae and
a cover letter by email to the attention of Claudia Pansa, HR Business Partner at email@example.com.
Candidates should specify “Court vacancy [Counsel Abu Dhabi 2021]” in the subject line of their email application.
Closing date for applications: 4 February 2021